Saturday, February 14, 2009

Gaia Conceptions


Name: Andrea Crouse

Shop Name: Gaia Conceptions

Shop Link:http://gaiaconceptions.etsy.com

Location: Greensboro, NC

Ships To:
Everywhere

What materials do you use for your ECO friendly products?
All Gaia Conceptions clothing is designed, sewn, and dyed by me using certified organic and eco-friendly fabrics. Your garment will also be dyed by hand using fiber reactive low impact dyes or natural dyes.



Why did you decide to make ECO friendly products?
The desire to make my artistic process and final creations as environmentally sustainable as possible has been there for as long as I can remember. I have a father with MS, which is now being linked to a prepubescent exposure to an environmental toxin. So ever sense I was a young girl I knew whatever I did it needed to be part of the solution not part of the problem. I’m also an ecological sculptor. I have spent the last few years creating work that explores environmental issues and how cultivated landscapes are attached to consumerism, politics, religion, science, and history.

What inspires you?
My family and friends
Edible landscapes
Great Sustainable design

How long have you had your shop on Etsy?
I started in Nov. 2007

Is this a job for you or a hobby?
This is my full time job:)


Besides your business practices, do you do other things to live a green life?
Yes:)
I eat local and seasonally as much as possible
Recycle
Live in a tiny house
Drive a bio-diesel car
and I'm always looking and learning how to make myself and Gaia Conceptions more eco-friendly

How did you get into your craft?
I was awkwardly tall growing up and could never find clothing to fit me so I learned how to make cloths for myself then I studied Fashion Design in college. I also took a lot of classes on sustainability, fiber arts, and sculptor. In fact I finally gradated with a BFA in Sculpture. However, I continued to make and sell my clothing throughout my collage years at festivals and from my web page. Then right around the same time I graduated I put my clothing on Etsy. Now my Etsy shop is a full time job. I got really lucky with the timing and them featuring me. If it weren’t for Etsy I would most likely be in Grad school for sculpture right now.

Do you have any advice for fellow Etsy shop owners?
Take lots of clear pictures and give as much info about your creation as you can.
Also try to list something each day and at different times of day.

Anything else you would like to add?
Thanks for giving me a chance to share a little of what I do with others:)

NEXT POST

Labels: Etsy seller  interview
Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=1d63ad0164f8ce780de5bc7ea852d3f0 ss_blog_claim=1d63ad0164f8ce780de5bc7ea852d3f0